The job of a Physician Assistant is a demanding one. It involves a lot of hours on your feet while you take care of patients.
All that time on your feet calls for a great pair of shoes. These are 10 of the best shoes to keep your feet comfortable.
*FYI the links on this article about best shoes for physician assistants may be affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase we may get a commission. For more info please see our disclaimer.
- Best Overall: Dansko Women's Professional Clog
“rocker bottom smoothly transitions the foot from heel to toe with each step”
- Dress Shoes: CLARKS Women's Linvale Jerica Pump
“crafted from 100% genuine leather for maximum durability and style”
- Best Casual: CLARKS Women's Step Glow Slip Loafer Flat
“supportive, cushioned shoe that’s incredibly lightweight so it won’t leave your feet tired”
- Best Shoes for PAs – Men: Nike Men's Lunar Fingertrap Cross Trainer
“a bold sneaker that will give you a little bit of style while you’re at work”
Best Shoes for Physician Assistants
1. Nike Women’s WMNS Air Max 90 Trainers
These Nike Women’s WMNS Air Max 90 Trainers feature a clean look that’s both timeless and modern.
The visible Air technology in the heel is what sets it apart from other Nike sneakers. It gives a bit of personality to an otherwise sleek-looking shoe.
The visible Air technology looks great, but it also performs great.
Each step is fully supported, with plenty of bounce back so your feet don’t get tired. The breathable mesh areas in the upper also keep your feet cool while they look cool.
- Visible Air technology
- Each step is supported
- Breathable mesh upper
- Tongue has too much padding
- Colors are a little bold
- Sizing runs large
Check the price of Nike Women’s WMNS Air Max 90 Trainers on Amazon.com
2. Nike Men’s Lunar Fingertrap Cross Trainer
- MEN'S TENNIS SHOES: The Nike Lunar Fingertrap Training Shoe offers flex grooves for natural movement and multidirectional traction for all types of training.
- SNUG SUPPORT: Sidewall wrap-up design cradles foot during side-to-side and diagonal movement. The men's workout shoe feature Lunarlon foam delivering plush, lightweight and responsive cushion.
- BREATHABLE: The Nike tennis shoe for men is constructed with a lightweight, breathable mesh that provides a sock-like fit but still allows for easy on and off.
A cool weaved upper makes this Nike Men's Lunar Fingertrap Cross Trainer really stand out.
Available in three color combinations, it’s a bold sneaker that will give you a little bit of style while you’re at work.
The famous Nike “swoosh” symbol boldly sits on the side of the shoe, indicating the superior quality that Nike shoes are known for.
In addition to looking great, this shoe also feels great. There are flex grooves on the bottom that allow the feet to move naturally.
A ultra-plush midsole provides all the cushion you need to stay comfortable all day long.
- Cool weaved upper
- Flex grooves for movement
- Plush midsole cushioning
- Weaving may rip
- Slippery soles on wet surfaces
- Narrow width
Check the price of the Nike Men's Lunar Fingertrap Cross Trainer on Amazon.com
3. New Balance Women’s W1260v6 Running Shoe
Bright and breathable, this New Balance Women's W1260v6 Running Shoe will keep your feet cool and comfortable all day long.
The mesh upper allows air to flow in and around the foot, keeping your feet cool and dry and reducing the chance of ending up with smelly, sweaty feet at the end of the shift.
Safety was at the top of the list when these shoes were created, from the durable rubber outsole to the shock-absorbing midsole.
It comes in two bright colors- pink/white and green/pink, so your shoes are always guaranteed to be a showstopper.
- Breathable mesh upper
- Slip-resistant rubber outsole
- Shock-absorbing midsole
- Only 2 color options
- Customer complaints of tongue ripping easily
- Sizing runs big
Check the price of the New Balance Women's W1260v6 Running Shoe on Amazon.com
4. CLARKS Women’s Step Glow Slip Loafer Flat
- Clarks Cloudsteppers
- Removable OrthoLite footbed with Cushion Soft technology
- Soft Fabric Lining
Sneakers aren’t the only comfortable shoe option for Physician Assistants.
These CLARKS Women's Step Glow Slip Loafer Flat is a supportive, cushioned shoe that’s incredibly lightweight so it won’t leave your feet tired at the end of a shift.
They have an easy slip-on design with stretchy elastic gores on either side of the upper.
An Ortholite footbed provides just the right amount of arch support for most arches, but if you need additional arch support, the footbed is removable.
It comes in 9 great colors so it works with just about any business-casual attire.
- Comes in 9 color options
- Removable footbed
- Tight in toe box area
- Stiff fabric on the upper
- Sizing runs a little small
Check the price of the CLARKS Women's Step Glow Slip Loafer Flat on Amazon.com
5. Dansko Women’s Professional Clog
- An original Dansko style that provides extra shock absorption comparable to athletic shoes
- Patent leather uppers with an extra roomy toe box
- Slip on style for an easy on and off
Clogs are a great alternative to a sneaker for those who want a comfortable shoe that’s also a bit dressy.
These Dansko Women's Professional Clog are perfect for Physician Assistants looking for a more formal piece of footwear.
They feature an easy slip-on design with plenty of wiggle room for the toes once they’re on.
The unique rocker bottom smoothly transitions the foot from heel to toe with each step so you’re less likely to trip and fall or apply too much pressure to one area of the foot.
It also comes in over a dozen colors.
- Easy slip-on design
- Professional look
- Smooth heel-to-toe stride
- Tight across the top
- A little loose in the heel
- Upper material tends to scuff easily
Check the price of the Dansko Women's Professional Clog on Amazon.com
6. Asics Women’s Gel-Kayano 23 Running
- Fuzegel midsole: Asics new gel cushioning technology made from the fusion of gel and foam creates lightweight comfort, tuned to provide rear foot shock absorption that shifts to forefoot bounce back
- Fluid ride midsole: fluid ride provides the ultimate combination of bounce back and cushioning properties with reduced weight and exceptional durability
- Fluid fit upper: Asics fluid fit upper technology combines multi-directional stretch mesh with stretch reinforcements that adapt to the athlete's foot, creating a truly customized glove-like fit
If you want a shoe that really performs, this Asics Women's Gel-Kayano 23 Running shoe is it.
The unique Impact Guidance System allows the foot to move naturally so that each stride is smooth and comfortable.
There is also plenty of bounce back and cushion at the midsole so that each step is fully supported and you end up with less soreness in your arches at the end of the day.
The heel features a unique shape that cups the heel better so that you have less rubbing and friction, which often creates blisters on the heel.
- Smooth heel-to-toe transition
- Responsive midsole
- Supportive heel area
- A little narrow, may need a size up
- Tight toe box
- Complaints of sole separating
Check the price of the Asics Women's Gel-Kayano 23 Running on Amazon.com
7. K-Swiss Women’s Hypercourt Express Tennis Shoe
- Synthetic Leather Upper
- Draggaurd Rubber & Aosta Rubber Outsole
- Molded EVA Midsole
These incredibly durable K-Swiss Women's Hypercourt Express Tennis Shoe will get you through many shifts as a Physician Assistant.
The mesh upper has a unique polyurethane overlay that protects the upper from damage. Even normal wear and tear takes longer to penetrate the toughness of this upper.
It comes in 11 great colors so you can find something that really suits your own personal style.
The rubber outsole keeps you steady on slippery surfaces, while the midsole supports many different types of arches.
K-Swiss is known for making great tennis shoes, and this pair is no exception.
- Polyurethane and mesh upper
- 11 color options
- Slip-resistant rubber outsole
- Sizing runs a little big
- Toe box fits oddly
- A little bulky
Check the price of the K-Swiss Women's Hypercourt Express Tennis Shoe on Amazon.com
8. Women’s Wool Runner Mizzles
This new spin on our classic Runner combines cozy merino wool, natural rubber treads, and our very own Puddle Guard for comfort that shines in the misty drizzle and beyond.
A shoe that’s good for your feet and good for the environment is what you’ll find with these Women’s Wool Runner Mizzles.
Allbirds is known for using some of the most eco-friendly materials in their shoes, and this pair is no exception.
The Merino wool is breathable and cozy, but also incredibly durable. The water-repellent coating is also environmentally friendly. The slip-resistant outsole is made from carbon-negative green EVA.
The reduced carbon emissions continues with the layered castor bean oil insole which keeps your feet cushioned and supported with every step you take.
- Cozy Merino wool
- Upper is water resistant
- Most materials produce low carbon emissions
- No half sizes offered
- Not available in wide width
- Sizing runs a little small
Check the price of the Women’s Wool Runner Mizzles on Allbirds.com.
9. Adidas Women’s Cloudfoam Running Shoe
- Women's specific fit
- Cloudfoam memory sockliner and textile lining
- Easy, everyday runners
If you’re looking for an overall comfortable shoe that fits great, these Adidas Women's Cloudfoam Running Shoe are for you.
From top to bottom, they are made to securely hug your foot and create a fit that feels like a second skin.
The textile upper is breathable and not bulky like some other running shoes, so it gives the foot a nice shape. The sockliner features Cloudfoam technology that makes it feel like you’re walking on air.
A thicker platform heel provides some extra shock absorption for the foot so you stay comfortable all day long.
- Breathable textile upper
- Cloudfoam sockliner
- Platform heel provides superior shock absorption
- Narrow sizing
- Minimal traction on the outsole
- Difficult to put on at first
Check the price of the Adidas Women's Cloudfoam Running Shoe on Amazon.com
10. CLARKS Women’s Linvale Jerica Pump
- OrthoLite Molded footbed
- Smooth Textile Lining
- Durable Composition Rubber outsole
Those looking for a professional, dressy look will love this CLARKS Women's Linvale Jerica Pump.
Sometimes sneakers and clogs aren’t appropriate attire for work, so these pumps are the perfect combination of formal and comfortable.
They’re crafted from 100% genuine leather for maximum durability and style.
A 2-inch heel is the ideal height for those who like a bit of a heel, but still want a smooth stride.
The OrthoLite molded footbed supports most arches and provides shock absorption where you need it most. These pumps go well with any formal attire.
- Durable, easy-to-clean leather upper
- Work-appropriate 2-inch heel
- OrthoLite molded footbed for comfort
- Only comes in a blush pink color
- Sizing runs small
- Toe box area is slightly narrow
Check the price of the CLARKS Women's Linvale Jerica Pump on Amazon.com
Shoe Buying Guide for Physician Assistants
1. Breathable Shoes
Whether or not your feet naturally sweat, shoes that aren’t breathable can leave your feet feeling hot and sweaty at the end of a long day.
Sweaty feet are not only uncomfortable, but they can also lead to foul odors and fungal infections like athlete’s foot.
Avoiding sweaty feet starts with wearing breathable shoes. Breathable shoes are made from synthetic fabrics like mesh.
Thicker materials like leather, while more durable, aren’t very breathable and are not recommended for those who suffer from hyperhidrosis, which is when feet sweat excessively.
Many of us are wearing the wrong shoe size, and that’s because so many of us purchase shoes online without going to a store and having our feet measured by a professional.
You can measure your feet at home to ensure you’re wearing the right size in a few easy steps.
- Trace an outline of your foot onto a blank sheet of paper
- Measure the length and width of the tracing with a ruler
- Subtract 3/16 of an inch from each number
- Use this size chart to determine your correct size
- If your feet are naturally wide, choose a wide width shoe
3. Leather Shoe Care
Leather is one of the most popular types of materials used for shoes, and for good reason.
It’s super durable, relatively easy to clean, and always looks great.
Even the most durable leather needs a little tender love and care now and then, particular when worn by someone with such a demanding profession, like a Physician Assistant.
Caring for leather involves four easy steps:
- Remove dirt and debris with a soft cloth or soft bristled brush
- Clean with saddle soap or other specialized leather cleaner
- Remove stubborn stains with a mixture of vinegar and water
- Always allow shoes to air dry away from heat and light
4. High Heel Safety
While high heels look attractive and can give a nice shape to the legs, they can wreak havoc on the body if they aren’t worn properly.
High heels can lead to pain in the feet, ankles, calves, knees, hips, and back.
Avoiding this type of pain involves wearing a lower heel and not wearing heels for an extended period of time.
High heels can also negatively impact your balance, leaving you at a higher risk of falls and sprains.
Even if you’re wearing your shoes indoors for a majority of the time, having waterproof shoes is a good idea.
Physician Assistants can encounter many messes during their day, and waterproof shoes are easier to clean when these messes occur.
Waterproof shoes are also ideal for those who live in wet climates where snow, ice, and rain occur.
If your shoes are not waterproof, you can treat them with a spray or polish.
Your footwear needs as a Physician Assistant may change depending on where you work and how long you’re working for.
Some days may call for a more formal pair of shoes while others call for a casual pair.
All of these shoes offer different benefits and make excellent footwear options.