A watch is an important tool for both physicians and physician assistants.
In addition to telling time, many watches perform other functions like tracking sleep patterns and activity levels- something busy medical professionals need to be aware of.
These are 10 of the best watches for physicians and physician assistants.
*FYI the links on this article about best watches for doctors and physician assistants may be affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase we may get a commission. For more info please see our disclaimer.
- Best for Women: Daniel Wellington Petite Melrose Watch
“looks very professional and isn’t flashy like some other gold watches tend to be”
- Best For Men: Fossil Men's Stainless Steel Watch
“attractive from start to finish”
- Best Smartwatch: Apple Watch
“sleek design features an Always-On Retina display”
- Best Fitness Tracker: Fitbit Versa Lite
“takes many of the attractive features of the original Fitbit and puts it into a sleek, lightweight form”
Best Watches for Physicians and Physician Assistants
1. Apple Watch
- GPS model lets you take calls and reply to texts from your wrist
- Measure your blood oxygen with an all-new sensor and app
- Check your heart rhythm with the ECG app
This Apple Watch has so many handy features, you’ll never want to take it off.
It replaces your phone while you’re at work because it allows you to answer calls and texts right from your wrist.
There are also apps to measure your oxygen level, heart rate, activity level, and more.
You can listen to music and podcasts while on-the-go as well with access to the entire Apple library.
The sleek design features an Always-On Retina display and a watch face that can be customized from several different options.
- Answer calls and texts
- Track activity level and more
- Customize watch face
- Only works with an iPhone
- Needs frequent charging
- Not all apps work efficiently
Check the price of the Apple Watch on Amazon.com.
2. Timex Expedition
- Adjustable black 22 millimeter resin strap fits up to 8-inch wrist circumference
- 100-hour chronograph; 24-hour countdown timer; 3 vibrating & audible daily alarms
- 24-hour military time mode; 3 time zones; occasion reminders; hydration timer; calendar
Although it’s not a smart watch, this Timex Expedition still has plenty of features to make it a desirable choice for physicians and physician assistants.
The resin strap is super durable and fits wrists up to 8-inches. There are several alarms that can be set, all with an audible alert for the user. There’s also a calendar, 3-time zone options, and the option to switch to military time.
As a medical professional, you wash your hands frequently, and having to remove your watch every time is frustrating.
This watch is also water-resistant and can be worn while washing your hands.
- Durable resin strap
- Calendar and alarm options
- Water-resistant for easy handwashing
- Only comes in black
- Battery dies quickly
- Difficult to set up
Check the price of the Timex Expedition on Amazon.com.
3. Fossil Gen 5 Smartwatch
- Smartwatches powered with Wear OS by Google work with iPhone and Android Phones. Case size: 44mm; Band size: 22mm; interchangeable with all Fossil 22mm bands
- Battery: 24 Hr plus multi day extended mode Varies based on usage and after updates install. USB cable with magnetic charger snaps to rings on watch caseback and spins 360 degrees for ease of use. Charge up to 80% in under an hour
- Health and fitness: Heart Rate and Activity Tracking using Google Fit; Built-in GPS for distance tracking; Swimproof design 3ATM; New wellness enhancements allow you to track sleep history, monitor your restfulness and set sleep goals
The versatility of this Fossil Gen 5 Smartwatch is truly amazing.
It works with both iPhones and Android phones, so you can answer calls, texts, and sync many other features, no matter which operating system you favor.
The watch band is also interchangeable, so you never have to tire of one particular style.
In addition to its versatility, it also offers several health benefits, which is ideal for health-conscious medical professionals.
It can monitor your heart rate, activity level, sleep pattern, and more.
The Always-On display and personalized watch faces just add to the appeal of this watch.
- Works with iPhone and Android
- Health monitoring features
- Always-On display
- Needs frequent charging
- Voice quality is subpar
- Some apps are difficult to operate
Check the price of the Fossil Gen 5 Smartwatch on Amazon.com.
4. Casio Men’s XL Series G-Shock
- DETAILS: 200 Meter Water Resistant, Super Illuminator LED Light with Afterglow (selectable illumination duration 1.5 or 3 seconds), World Time, 31 times zones (48 cities + UTC), daylight saving on/off, home city/world time swapping, 4 Daily Alarms and 1 Snooze Alarm and an Hourly Time Signal. Accuracy: ± 15 seconds per month. The countdown range is 60 minutes
- GREAT LOOK: Men, women, young, old, teens or tweens can rock this watch! Grab for the day, work, traveling, shopping, hanging out, walking or for that perfect accessory. Pair with any outfit from casual to sporty and everywhere in between and always be on time.
- GREAT FIT: Comfort is so important, and the key when picking a watch to wear all day. This is not only comfortable, fun, and new, but a style that will bring lots of compliments, while wearing. Perfect gift idea for that birthday, holiday or just a thinking of you present.
Rugged and stylish at the same time, this Casio Men's XL Series G-Shock is suitable for both men and women.
Its neutral black color can be worn with both casual and dressy attire. The durable resin construction is built-to-last, and it’s also water-resistant up to 200 meters.
Aside from looking great and being sturdy, it also offers many great features that medical professionals will love.
It has a bright LED light for using in dark areas, 4 alarms to set, a snooze alarm option, a 10-year battery life, and so much more.
- Water-resistant up to 200 meters
- Bright LED light
- 10-year battery life
- A bit bulky
- Plastic fastener may break easily
- Difficult to read the time on the digital display
Check the price of the Casio Men's XL Series G-Shock on Amazon.com.
5. Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch
- Better insights to reach your fitness goals get more out of every mile thanks to built-in pace coaching on the Galaxy Watch Active2; Its advanced sensors keep your pace to help you better achieve your run goals
- Comfortably sleek the Galaxy Watch Active2 is light enough to wear anywhere comfortably; It comes in aluminum or stainless steel and with a variety of faces, bands and finishes so it goes with anything. Bluetooth Profiles-A2DP,AVRCP,HFP,HSP
- Keep your beat: You can see if your heart rate is where you want it with Galaxy Watch Active2; Get automatically alerted if your watch detects a high or a low heart rate 4 this device and related software are not intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, Mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease
The Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch is truly a smart watch.
It tracks your activity level, sleep patterns, heart rate, and other health factors. As it tracks everything, it also gives you tips on how to improve your overall health and wellness.
It even has an app that monitors your stress levels, as mental health is just as important as physical health.
The battery lasts a long time- up to 5 days on a full charge.
If you have a Samsung Galaxy phone, you can even do a wireless charge between your devices for added convenience.
- Tracks several health factors
- Gives advice on improving wellness
- Battery charge lasts up to 5 days
- Inaccurate calorie counting
- Voice recognition is touchy
- Can only be charged wirelessly
Check the price of the Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch on Amazon.com.
6. Fitbit Versa Lite
- Track your all day activity, 24/7 heart rate, & sleep stages, all with a 4 plus day battery life (varies with use and other factors)
- Use 15 plus exercise modes to record workouts and connect to Smartphone GPS for more precise real time pace & distance
- Access your favorite apps for sports, weather & more and get called, calendar, text, and app alerts
The Fitbit is known for being one of the best smartwatches available, and this Fitbit Versa Lite takes many of the attractive features of the original Fitbit and puts it into a sleek, lightweight form.
The slim design looks great on any wrist, and it’s also water-resistant up to 50 meters so you don’t have to worry about spills or handwashing destroying your watch.
You can still track important things like your heart rate, activity level, and sleep pattern. If you have a compatible phone, your phone calls, texts, calendar, and more can also be synced.
- Slim, lightweight design
- Tracks activity level
- Respond to phone calls and texts
- Step count is sometimes inaccurate
- No screen lock feature
- Not a lot of apps
Check the price of the Fitbit Versa Lite on Amazon.com.
7. Fossil Men’s Stainless Steel Watch
- Case size: 50mm; Band size: 24mm; quartz movement with 3-hand analog display; mineral crystal face; imported
- Black plated stainless steel case; black dial with date window and gunmetal tone Arabic numerals
- 170mm - 250mm
This Fossil Men's Stainless Steel Watch is attractive from start to finish. A combination of stainless steel and quartz make it both elegant and sturdy.
There’s a 3-hand analog display that allows you to keep track of hours, minutes, and seconds, which is very convenient for medical professionals who need to count things like breaths or heart beats per minute.
The watch face is large and easy-to-read, and the buttons are big enough for even the largest hands to navigate.
It comes in a beautiful gift box if you plan on giving it as a gift.
- Sturdy stainless steel construction
- Quartz looks very elegant
- Large watch face
- Doesn’t light up
- Complaints of chronograph being faulty
- Difficult to change the date
Check the price of the Fossil Men's Stainless Steel Watch on Amazon.com.
8. Michael Kors Slim Runway Stainless Steel Watch
- From jet setting adventures to the 9 to 5 grind, the iconic Slim Runway watch collection by Michael Kors provide luxurious style with a modern splash of trend-right touches
- Featuring a 44mm case size, 22mm band size, hardened scratch-resistant mineral crystal glass, 3 hand quartz movement, imported
- Round sunray dial; Slim profile 12mm case. black plated bracelet with a brushed and polished finish. Bracelet strap with deployant closure deployment closure
The brand Michael Kors is synonymous with luxury, and this Michael Kors Slim Runway Stainless Steel Watch is no exception.
The black-on-black watch face and band lends a bit of unexpected glamour to a traditional watch.
The mineral-glass watch face is resistant to scratches so it’ll withstand the typical wear-and-tear that medical professionals run into.
The stainless steel is sturdy, and it’s also water-resistant up to 50 meters. This makes it easy-to-clean after a long shift where you’re taking care of patients.
With a slim profile and a slightly-shiny finish, this week is the perfect mix of practical and luxury.
- Band is slightly large
- Complaints of watch band breaking
- Black paint may chip over time
Check the price of the Michael Kors Slim Runway Stainless Steel Watch on Amazon.com.
9. Men’s Solar Sport Combination Watch
- Tough Solar Power, 100M Water Resistant, LED Light with Afterglow, Neo-brite luminous hands and markers.Case Diameter : 46 Millimeters
- World Time, Multi-lingual Day of Week display (English, Portuguese, Spanish, French, German, Italian)
- 5 Daily Alarms, Hourly Time Signal, 1/100 second digital stopwatch, 2 Countdown Timers, Full Auto Calendar, 12/24 Hour Formats
The job of a physician or physician assistant can be a demanding one, and that calls for a tough watch.
This Casio Men's Solar Sport Combination Watch certainly fits the bill.
It’s made from durable materials, and the watch is solar powered so it saves money on watch batteries.
The watch can stay charged up to 10 months if it’s fully-charged, even without any sunlight exposure. It’s also water-resistant up to 100 meters and features a bright LED light.
You can set up to 5 daily alarms, which is ideal for busy medical professionals.
- Solar powered
- Charge lasts approximately 10 months
- Does not have a third hand to count seconds
- Cannot snooze the alarms
- Difficult to read in the dark
Check the price of the Casio Men's Solar Sport Combination Watch on Amazon.com.
10. Daniel Wellington Petite Melrose Watch
- Designed in Sweden, Daniel Wellington timepieces feature minimalist Scandinavian style and are the perfect gift or personal accessory for every occasion.
- Signature Rose Gold Double Plating On Stainless Steel
- 28mm dial in Eggshell White
This beautiful Daniel Wellington Petite Melrose Watch provides the understated elegance that only rose gold can.
It looks very professional and isn’t flashy like some other gold watches tend to be. The rose-gold plating is over durable stainless steel, so you can rest assured this watch will last you a long time.
The mesh strap is interchangeable with other straps if you’d like a different look from time to time.
The watch is water-resistant and comes with a convenient lobster-claw clasp for easy fastening. The watch face is in a subtle eggshell color versus a bright white for even more elegance.
- Subtle rose gold
- Interchangeable strap
- Lobster-claw closure
- Band is small
- Battery doesn’t last long
- Complaints of plating chipping off
Check the price of the Daniel Wellington Petite Melrose Watch on Amazon.com.
Watch Buying Guide for Physicians and Physician Assistants
1. Smart Features
Whether or not you need a smartwatch depends on your own specific needs.
If you are someone who relies heavily on technology, but can’t have your phone on you while you work, then a smartwatch is an excellent option.
Many smartwatches allow you to access the internet and your phone calls and texts right from your wrist.
Other attractive smartwatch features to look for are:
- Heart rate monitoring
- Activity level tracking
- Step counter
- Calorie counter
- Sleep tracking
- Bluetooth capability
- Calendar syncing
2. Charging vs. Battery
Some watches contain a regular watch battery, while others are charged via a port or wireless charger.
Most smartwatches are chargeable, while most traditional watches contain a watch battery.
How long a watch can go before needing a replacement battery or to be charged depends on how often you use it and how many features it has.
Some watches are also solar-powered. Solar-powered watches get their energy from the sun, which is very convenient if you are outdoors a lot.
Since most physicians and physician assistants work indoors, a solar-powered watch may not be the most ideal choice.
Medical professionals have to wash their hands frequently in order to prevent the spread of germs and bacteria.
Having to remove your watch every time you wash your hands can get quite annoying, not to mention it opens up the opportunity for the watch to get lost or damaged.
Pay attention to how far the watch says it’s water-resistant up to.
Some watches can go as far as 200 or 300 meters, while others are only as far as 50 meters or less.
While the depth isn’t as important if you’re only wearing the watch while washing your hands, it is important if you plan on swimming with it on.
4. Watch Face Size
A large watch face is ideal for a few reasons. It’s easier to read the time and is also good for those with poor eyesight.
A larger watch face is also better if you have a smartwatch, as it’s easier to navigate the apps and other features.
Use caution when purchasing a watch face that’s very large though as it can become quite cumbersome when working with patients.
It may be difficult to bend your wrist, or it may be easier for it to become damaged when knocked up against something.
5. Seconds Counter
Counting the seconds may not seem important, unless you are a medical professional who needs to keep track of a patient’s breaths or heart rate.
Having a watch that counts the seconds, whether it be with a third hand or on a digital watch face, is crucial to properly track a patient’s vitals.
Some watches may come with a timer or stop watch that will make this task even easier.
A reliable watch is a valuable accessory for any physician or physician assistant. A watch that does more than just tell time is even more valuable.
All of these watches have their own unique benefits, so be sure to choose one that fits best into your home and work lifestyle.